Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing # 21 - Other Social Networks

It was rather fun exploring the other various social networking tools that exist on the web. There certainly are a lot of them! There seems to be a social networking group for just about any interest one may have, and if one doesn't exist, you could always create one.

In exploring Gather, the social networking and media site for adults, I found that I really liked two of their suggested groups. The first one was called First Chapters, which is basically a writing competition site for first time authors to have a gateway for publication. the second one was called Art Deadlines List - which was a listing of film / video festivals, competitions, grants, scholarships, and internships. I know of some young adults that would really like these types of group social networking utilities.

I currently am a member of Webjunction Minnesota. This online community is a great utility tool to support library staff with technical and library development materials. I have used this site in some of my MSLIS coursework as a reference tool for projects I have worked on.

Other social networking sites that were of interest include: Classroom 2.0, College 2.0, and the Teacher Librarian Ning.

No comments: