Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thing # 11 - Tagging and Del.icio.us

Creating a Del.icio.us account and tagging my entries was not only enjoyable, but very easy to do. I had heard of Del.icio.us before and had actually looked at the site, but had never invested the time to become familiar with it. I thought the site was rather intuitive once I started to play around with it.

I could see the utility of this site as both a means of creating bookmarks that can be accessed from anywhere and also as a potential research tool. As with any research tool involving the Internet, one must consider the purpose, authority, objectivity, appropriateness, currency, responsibility, clarity, and accessibility of the site. Just because others tag a site does not guarantee the quality of the site.

I think it would be possible for libraries to utilize Del.icio.us to tag various reputable sites that would be useful to students in their research. Tags would permit students to access sites related to their topic of interest.

No comments: