Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thing # 9 - Online Collaboration Tools

In exploring both Google Docs and Zoho Writer, I found that I really liked the idea of such collaborative tools. These are wonderful utilities for group distance learning projects. With the rise in Distance Education and the need for collaboration in our society, group projects are actually doable with tools such as these when students are not centrally located at the learning institution. The ability for anyone anywhere to access a created document and update it as needed is a real positive factor in the learning environment.

I think both of the tools have potential and it is probably more of a personal preference as to their individual usability. Personally, I preferred the layout design of Zoho Writer. I really liked the toolbar addition which put all main devices visible without having to search within a menu of any type. I also liked the template library that is available on Zoho Writer. There were numerous templates that could be used and tailored to one's individual needs. These templates ranged from employee accident reports, to fact sheets, to fundraising proposal forms. Frankly I am amazed at what is available on the Web for "free" (barring advertising). We live in an exciting time! I am sure the founding fathers would have loved such tools as they put together the Constitution.

No comments: