Friday, March 28, 2008

Thing # 13 - Online Productivity Tools

I chose to use PageFlakes for my startup page. My rationale for this selection was that I felt it was one of the easier ones to understand from the presentation on the product. I also found it initially visually appealing. It took me a few minutes to organize my chosen sites in a fashion that I could work with, and I did post it as my permanent home page.

One of the tools that I plan to recommend is the MoRUN.net sticker lite. This computer sticky notes program is just what my daughter was looking for a few days ago. She likes to have post-it notes to remind her of things she needs to pay attention to and this will work well for her needs.

In regards to online calendars, I think I have found a personal use for one of them that may prove invaluable. Our family of six shares two vehicles. These vehicles must transport three individuals to school and five individuals to jobs. We are constantly asking each other the night before - "okay, who needs the car tomorrow and what times do you need it?" We currently have a paper copy of a calendar laying on the counter for everyone to put in their schedules. An online calendar would work well, in that it can be updated from anywhere as the need arises.

The to-do lists were interesting. I think they could prove useful for large projects / lists or for projects / lists that need maintained over a long period of time. For short everyday lists, I might find them more of a time-consumer.

I found the PDF converters an interesting tool. It is neat that one is able to take a document and convert it into PDF format. This could come in handy at some point.

No comments: